Sunday, May 4, 2014

Disconnected

Today I decided to do the impossible. I decided to disconnect (slightly) and delete Facebook off of my phone. Sometimes I will be sitting around with my kiddos and realize that I am scrolling through Facebook instead of watching them learn something new, say something new, or do something so sweet then the moment is gone. Derek and I have talked about this before, too. How we are so addicted to social media and need to try to be better about putting down the phone for a while. Now, don't get me wrong, I spend a ton of time with my kids. I don't ignore them for texting and Facebook. However, I seem to have that phone by my side at all times. 

I watched a video on Facebook today about putting the phone down. Ironic, because I watched it on my phone. It said that you never know what you will miss out on if you don't look up from the phone. It showed people at the dinner table and in the same room together, all on their phones. Then it hit me...this is, in many ways, our lives. I am so guilty of snapping pictures of every little thing my kids do. Of course I think they are just the greatest things that ever took a breath, but don't all mommies think that about their babies? I not only snap pictures, but I am really quick to hit that share button and put it on Facebook. I realize that I post way too often, but believe me when I say, it is addicting! I want to show off those babies. But, not everyone wants to see, or NEEDS to see it. For how protective and (honestly) overbearing I am of those boys, I sure do blast them all over the internet! Not just that, but I realize that I spend so much time taking pictures of what they are doing that I actually miss what they are doing. Sometimes it's better to just sit back and watch and enjoy the moment. I don't want my kids growing up staring at the back of my phone. I do want to capture the memories and the special things that happen, but I really need to work on sharing those moments with just my kids and/or husband and not the entire Facebook world. I'm really not knocking on social media. I'm more knocking on myself for getting so wrapped up in having to know what everyone is up to and letting everyone know what I'm up to. It's silly, really, when you stop and think about it. 

So here's my bottom line. I can't drop my bad habit completely...yet. But, I can make a true effort to not let my kids always see a phone in mommy's hand, to watch instead of capture, to put the phone down and look up at the world around me, to not panic when I've been away from my phone for 10 minutes, and to just live in the moment. Why am I rambling about letting go of social media ON social media? To maybe spread the word to anyone else that feels somewhat similar to me. Try it. Today has been one of the greatest days I've had in a while, because I put my phone on the table and walked away. I could really see a difference in Jonah, too. It was a little less "terrible twos" and little more "tolerable twos". Maybe he was just having a good day, but I think it's a little more than that. And by the way...my kids are both sleeping, so I don't feel bad about whipping out the old laptop to make this post. Again, I'm not knocking Facebook, or anyone who is as obsessed about sharing things as I am. This is just something that I have decided is best for my family. So, if you don't see as much action on my page as usual, it's just because I am living in the moment and enjoying my babies while they are still babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment